Welcome to the new Episencial Blog! Watch this space for safe skincare updates and please subscribe to our feed.
SUMMER SUNSCREEN TIPS FOR PARENTS
The FDA has announced new guidelines for sunscreen effectiveness and labeling.? In light of this news, our CEO and chief product formulator Kim Walls offers parents tips for this summer to ensure you have the latest information on sun care:
1. Learn how to read the label on any sunscreen product.? Opt for chemical-free products that offer full spectrum protection, protecting against both the UVA and UVB rays.? The FDA really focused on this point and is strongly recommending broad-spectrum products ? those that screen both UVA and UVB sunrays.
2. The best Sun Protection Factor (SPF) level for your child depends on what you will be doing.? Chose a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 35, which will protect more than 95 percent of the harmful wavelength of UV rays ? just right for playing at the beach, park or in the backyard.
3. A natural mineral (aka physical) block is, by far, the safest sunscreen option.? Zinc sits on the skin?s surface to reflect sunrays away from the body like a mirror, as opposed to chemical ingredients, which are designed to be absorbed into the skin and can have potentially unintended and harmful consequences for children?s skin and body.
4. In addition to preventing sun damage, it?s also important to combat the negative effects of increased exposure to pollution in the ocean and air and also by the sheer heat on the skin?s surface. Products that contain aloe help cool the skin.? Ingredients like green tea extract offset skin problems and help prevent lasting damage from sun exposure.
5. The skin?s ability to perform essential immune functions can be compromised by the damaging dryness resulting from exposure to chlorine from pools and typical city water supplies.? Sunscreens that are all natural (such as ours) and fortified with ingredients such as Vitamin C, organic oils such as avocado, beeswax, Shea butter offset chlorine, maintain skin hydration and create a water-resistant barrier to reduce absorption of pollutants through the skin to support overall health.
Download these tips here and please feel free to post and share with your friends and community!
Have a question about sunscreen or skin care?? Ask Kim on Facebook at www.facebook.com/episencial!